Sunday 23 November 2014


Earlier this week I flew to Melbourne, my first time, visiting with 3 lovely people... A spontaneous trip. It was a replacement for what Australia calls 'schoolies' or HSC leavers trip. We didn't quite take on the typical location but instead decided to go our own way and experience a new city, a more relaxed environment, a different culture in comparison to the 'party hard' scene found in surfers paradise. I had no expectations, to be completely honest, I hadn't had the time to think about it until the day before when my plane ticket insinuated a 3.30am wakeup call. But nonetheless, we embarked with the help of my mum who played 'chauffeur'.

No first impressions, a city, looking quite similar to my home in Sydney. Grey buildings, a grey cloud cover .... the first expense, a $60 cab ride. We stayed at Darling Towers Apartments in Collins Street which was incredibly accessible to everything within the Melbourne CBD.

DAY 1-

A walk to Queen Victoria Markets and exploring the city.







DAY 2- 

BRUNSWICK STREET- I loved it here- an assortment of amazing vegan food and sweet little stores.






** The Vegie Bar in Brunswick Street, Fitroy.
I can highly reccommend the Lentil Burger with Sweet Potato Chippies.
It is renowned for vegan and vegetarian options.


DAY 3-

A 6 hour bike ride down the Yarra River with Madi.


On the route was a place called 'Lentil as Anything' which I had heard about on Instagram and the man whom we had hired the bikes from, recommended it. It abides by the 'pay as you please' model and has vegetarian/vegan meal options based on the philosophies of trust, generosity and social inclusion as it intends to make a difference in local communities. It provided us with a great food and a much needed break.

A cheeky little Bardot sample sale was much needed as I spent money that I didn't have....

For dinner, we all headed to Yong Green Food in Fitzroy where we annoyed a vegan dinner as Madi and I struggled to walk around due to persistent sunburn (we only had ourselves to blame).



DAY 4- 

St Kilda Beach and Melbourne's Art Markets


**

The art markets were so amazing. I think I was way too caught up in the moment to capture to many pictures. We purchased peanut-butter/nutella crepes and headed to watch a small independent band called Kooyeh. We were onlookers of the abundance of different backpackers, drinking sangria and head-banging in an amazing free-spirited atmosphere. 


DAY 5- 

A 35 degree celsius day. No plans were made. We ended up having the most amazing time in the royal botanical gardens where we had a picnic including an assortment of sushi and coconuts. I read under a tree and enjoyed its shade. 




**
Front to back- Bree, Kathy, Me and Madi on the footbridge over the Yarra River.

**

**
I think this is the creme brûlée, coffee flavored ice cream...

The others couldn't quite resist N2 gelato as I enjoyed a vegan brownie from the guilt free store. 


This was our last night. Kathy and I at about 11pm decided to head out on an adventure to find a spontaneous beer and discover Melbourne's night life. We said good night to the others and set out with some expert advice from a friend, to the Chinese Beer Garden, after walking on a roof top bar called Madame Brussels and discovering that one cocktail was a slimey $17. At the beer garden, $2 pink champagne was much more affordable for two travelling students. 


All in all, it was a delightful trip with amazing company. 
Thankyou for reading.

Tata for now,
Elena xx

** Pictures belonging to Bree Sawyer and I do not claim them to be mine. 












0 comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

About Me

My photo
I'm here to just write and create... about all the fun, groovy, good, little life adventures. I want to be a diary... an edited one at that. I love spontaneity and nature, the beach, music, festivals, genuine people ...

.

.
Powered by Blogger.