Friday 16 January 2015


Feminism.... Please don't make an uninformed judgement before reading. 


I wrote a blog post about a year and a half ago but never posted it because it was so messy and I was only begginning to learn about gender equality, maybe I was ignorant and uninformed, however it has suddenly just become that little bit more relevant. Here it is. 


"'I’ve grown a heart-wrenching, stomach-churning obsession with feminism. I have flirted with its exhilarating ideas and explored its mind-broadening content. I have begun my romance with feminism, and have found ‘The Female Eunuch.’" 


I actually wrote this paragraph for my HSC Society and Culture Personal Interest Project. But I've started to challenge something that I thought I was incredibly certain about... obviously you can see this by my immense passion (totally put on for the Board of Studies). 


However, I think I'm lacking authenticity, a full on belief in feminism. How can it be defined as equality of the sexes when it stands on the basis of women's rights. Men aren't exactly completely equal either. There are so many situations I can think of when men have been oppressed by our patriarchal society. How can be expect men to join the feminist bandwagon when it almost discriminates against their right to stand up for the opposite sex?


I can't say that I wholeheartedly believe in feminism now. I mean I most definitely believe in the values but the definition does not quite suit me.


In addition, it also a concept that was made up in the 1970s. We are now products of a 21st century society. How can we still be living and believe in something that was a product of it's time. Is it not time now to create a new radical, extreme movement that follows the basis of gender equality and feminism? Think about it... we can't get away with calling it gender equality because anyone can identify with it (no discrimination intended) but any Johny Billy Bob can say that they agree in gender equality. I'd say (sorry no statistics) that 90% of people believe in gender equality. However, those 90% of people aren't making change. We need change. We need a new radical movement, a new word that defines the evolution of gender equality, a word that is relevant to the 21st century. I mean, I'm not going to create one, as much as I would love to unfortunately I don't hold that kind of power over our society... possibly one day?


I also think that there are countless negative connotations associated with feminism today and to make change, they need to be extinguished. The mainstream associate feminists with people who don't shave their legs, wear doc martens and listen to punk music. 


We need a new word.... I think. 


This is a little bit of a thought process. Hopefully one day I can establish an ultimate, uniquely individual perspective and create change."


I feel as though since then I've developed a little bit with the help of increased free time, new role models and a hell of a lot of reading. A few days ago a young adult, Caitlin Stasey released a movement called 'herselfdotcom' and talks controversially about all things surrounding sexual liberation in association with feminism. Moreover, many more 'celebs' have come out stating their support for the feminist movement including Ellen Page, Taylor Swift and Emma Watson and in doing so have increased the publics awareness for gender equality and I think it's amazing. These celebrities are using their immense power and fan base in order to make positive change for women and it's all in the name of feminism.... A 21st century feminism. I feel as though my wish to create something more relatable in the 4th wave of modern feminism is being established and my prior wish for something new may not be so much needed anymore.... 


A thought process... Any feedback, opinions etc is much appreciated. 


Elena x






(Photo- Caitlin Stasey)



(Photo- emma Watson- he for she)



(Photo- Taylor swift)








Malala Yousafzai, accepted the Nobel Peace Prize today. She won the prize for her work as an activist fighting for the right to education in parts of the world where it’s often denied (especially to girls).
In her acceptance speech, she said: 
It is for those forgotten children who want education. It is for those frightened children who want peace. It is for those voiceless children who want change. 
I am here to stand up for their rights, raise their voice. It is not time to pity them. It is time to take action so it becomes the last time that we see a child deprived of education.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

About Me

My photo
I'm here to just write and create... about all the fun, groovy, good, little life adventures. I want to be a diary... an edited one at that. I love spontaneity and nature, the beach, music, festivals, genuine people ...

.

.
Powered by Blogger.